- Our vision is for a Wales that is a better place
- We promote good design and communicate its benefits
- We value openness, transparency and mutual respect in a culture where knowledge is shared with all our stakeholders.
The Commission is an expert body. It is not a membership organisation or professional body. It does not represent the interests of any single profession.
The Commission is differentiated by:
- Its multi-disciplinary remit for the whole of the built environment in Wales
- An expert, multi-disciplinary team, delivering specialist services
- An independent stance
- Its depth and breadth of knowledge and experience
- Its ability to attract and retain the commitment of skilled professionals
- Its capacity to sustain Wales-wide professional networks
The Commission receives funds from the Welsh Government for its activities which respond to four strategic aims set out by the Welsh Government, in its funding agreement. These are:
- To champion high standards of design and architecture to the public and private sector in Wales by promoting wider understanding of design issues and the importance of good standards in enhancing the built environment across all sectors.
- To promote design practice that is compatible with the Welsh Assembly Government’s Sustainable Development Scheme, promoting best practice in energy efficiency, waste disposal and public transport.
- To promote design practice compatible with the highest standards in relation to equal opportunity and promoting social inclusion.
- To give due regard to promoting excellence in day to day developments, like housing estates and industrial units, as well as promoting excellence in prestige projects.
Comisiwn Dylunio Cymru Design Commission for Wales is the trading name of DCFW LIMITED, Private Limited Company No: 04391072 incorporated in England and Wales as a wholly owned subsidiary of the Welsh Government. Its Registered Office is at 4th Floor, Cambrian Buildings, Mount Stuart Square, Cardiff CF10 5FL.